Thursday, May 22, 2008

Off to the park

Took DT to the park today before his nap. As I expected, there were a lot of kids there. Most of them had on school uniforms so I assumed they were from the Catholic school in town. All I know is those kids were so mean, especially to each other. There were throwing shovels of sand at each other, stepping on each other and a couple of the bigger boys (about 9 or 10) were kicking balls right in the middle of a bunch of the kids and I mean hard. Several got hit by them when they would bounce off the swing set and slides. Sounds like ordinary kids stuff I suppose, but no one was laughing and few kids cried. I just about got beamed in the back of the head with one. That would have sent this moody, pregnant woman into a rage I'm afraid. All the parents and/or teachers just sat and talked under the pavilion. Anyway, we stayed but I kept a close eye, as always, on DT. Some of them were kind enough to let him use their toys in the sand but wouldn't really play with him.

As I was sitting in the shade, a stretch Ford Excursion limo pulled up. I was talking to another mom and one of the city's park maintenance guys and we were wondering what in the world a limo was doing there. The other mom said that some parents rent limos for their kids b-days. Sure enough about 10 little girls came bounding out of it. I couldn't believe it. A limo to take your kids to the park. Man! The park guy went to talk to the two mom's that joined the kids and asked them if he could have a ride home. The mom said "sure, if you have $156/hr"! I can't even imagine. It was about this time I decided to leave. The park was getting full and I was getting hot. I thought I had seen the limo leave but as we left I noticed that it had moved to a better parking space and was left running. I wonder how much money that mom is going to end up spending in the end. Of course all the little girls were asking all the other kids if they had seen the limo and bragging that they had come in it. I supposed I would have too at that age. I remember when having a party at Chuck E. Cheese was a big deal.

There were two very different sets of kids at the park today and I couldn't help but feel DT was somewhere in between, not that that is a bad thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Meggan! Hope you had a great day!

Love
Dave & Peggy