Friday, January 11, 2008

Just a fan...

I was in line at a store today and had Dylan with me. The following is a conversation I had with a lady in her late 50's-early 60's.
Lady: "I like your shirt." (to Dylan, wearing an Auburn hoodie)
Me: "Tell her thank you."
Dylan: "Thank you"
Lady: "Did you graduate from there?"
Me: "No but my father-in-law did. I had considered it but fell in love, married and had my son instead." (this was my mistake)
Lady: "My husband, son and daughter all graduated from there. My daughter is now a CPA, THANK GOD! Young girls today, don't know the importance of a good education. We let our kids know they had to go to college and get a degree. You know, it should be the other way around. (college, marriage, baby)"
Me:
"Well I wouldn't trade my little family for anything."
Lady: "Oh, of course."
Me: "I've been very blessed. My husband works hard so I can stay home, raise our son and go to school full time and I am doing much better this time around."
Lady: "That's great."
Now it is her turn with the cashier. Lucky her.

Ugh! This isn't the first time for something like this to happen. I've had similar conversations and looks thrown my way. I set myself up this time but that is ok. She really was a nice lady and I don't believe she meant anything by it but still... too bad it was an Auburn fan.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

That sucks. I'm sorry you ran into a twit. Why don't people consider what they are about to say before they say it?

~Crystal~ said...

People are way too quick to pass judgement. Pooey on that lady.

Steph said...

ROLL TIDE! :)

Anyway, don't worry at all about that crazy lady. I have my bachelor's degree and I "sit at home all day." Wait until your kiddos start school... you'll be busier than ever! I'll probably never have a full time job again. Sit on that, lady at the store!